Responsible To: Practice Administrator/Nurse Team Lead
Statement of Purpose: This position is multidimensional. It is responsible for the duties of a certified medical assistant, as well as front desk receptionist, and a health information technician (medical records clerk).
Primary Tasks CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Greet and room patients into appropriate exam rooms.
2. Collect the medical information from patient phone calls and walk-ins.
3. Performs medical intake procedures including labs, vital signs and history.
4. Prepares patients for examinations
5. Prepares chart to include all diagnostic documentation as needed for patient care.
6. Assist the providers during examinations.
7. Explain medical procedures to patients.
8. Administer injections.
9. Conduct tests and procedures as directed, such as EKG venipunctures, urine dipsticks, glucometer, etc.
10. Draw blood (Phlebotomy).
11. Performs specimen processing.
12. Clean exam rooms and sterilize medical instruments.
13. Maintains temperature logs for all clinic refrigerators containing specimens and medications.
14. Practices safety, environmental and/or infection control methods.
15. Documents all patient information and results accurately in the patients chart in a timely manner.
16. Requests diagnostic test results from other health care providers.
17. Provides assistance with referrals and coordinates services with other organizations, federal and local programs.
18. Maintain complete and thorough documentation on research projects if appropriate.
19. Performance of required medical procedures associated with research projects if appropriate.
20. Manage inventory and order clinical supplies
21. Collaborates with clinic team members to coordinate patient services.
22. Provides assistance in all clinical areas.
23. Assist in answering phones and scheduling appointments.
24. Continue professional training and education to advance knowledge and skills.
25. Participates in continuous quality improvement of services rendered to CAN clients.
26. Develop and foster networking relationships with community and support resources.
27. Utilizes resources and supplies in a cost-effective manner.
Front Desk Receptionist: CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Greets and directs all clinic patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous, and professional manner.
2. Professionally answers and routes inbound calls, providing accurate information to caller inquiries.
3. Schedules patient appointments accurately in EMR. Schedules follow up appointments at checkout
4. Confirms patient appointments daily.
5. Accurately completes/updates patient registration in electronic medical record (EMR), including demographic and insurance information.
6. Verifies patients demographics at every visit.
7. Makes copies of insurance cards and drivers licenses as required
8. Communicates updated insurance information to the Care Connection Team (CCT) in advance of appointment and communicates with patients as appropriate when complete information is not provided.
10. Accurately Check-in and Check-out patients in a timely manner in EMR.
11. Requests patient responsibility (copays, coinsurance, deductibles, balances due) at time of office visit. Able to accurately determine and locate patient responsibility amounts and effectively communicate with patients regarding balances due.
12. Processes and accurately records all patient payments, including cash, credit cards, and copays into the EMR in a timely fashion. Sends all collections to the billing department in a prompt and timely manner. Follows CAN policies and procedures regarding balancing of payments and preparation of deposits.
13. Coordinates patient transportation as needed
14. Follows up with no show appointments as needed
Health Information Technician (Medical Records Clerk): CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Accurately enters all required information into patients electronic medical record (EMR).
2. Ensures all lab results are received electronically or manually entered into the EMR accurately.
3. Scans patient information/records into electronic chart and mark for review when required.
4. Sends lab orders (electronic and paper) to labs for all patients as requested.
5. Prepares Request and receives records/documents with proper consents to other health care providers, government agencies, insurance companies, etc. as requested.
6. Assists medical team with administrative tasks.
7. Maintains HIPAA and confidentiality regarding patient/client and/or family in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
Secondary Tasks: CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Promotes and practices CANs values and mission, and adheres to all policies and procedures.
2. Maintains confidentiality regarding patient and/or family in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
3. Participates in continuous quality improvement of services rendered to CAN clients.
4. Develops and fosters networking relationships with community and support resources.
5. Utilizes resources and supplies in a cost-effective manner.
6. Complete all required annual trainings in a timely manner to ensure staff compliance.
7. Demonstrates courtesy, compassion and respect in all interpersonal relationships with CAN clients, staff and visitors.
8. Maintains professional manner in all aspects of job tasks.
9. Performs all other duties as assigned..Requirements:
Physical Requirements: CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients.
2. Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 pounds unassisted.
Education/Professional Experience: CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Medical Assistant Degree/Certification issued by an accredited institution approved by the state you work in.
2. CPR certified
3. Valid Drivers License
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE RECEPTIONIST/MEDICAL RECORDS BILINGUAL
1. Demonstrates knowledge of HIV medical terminology, procedures, medications and accepted treatment practices.
2. Practices safe phlebotomy skills using standard precautions.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of OSHA rules, regulations and mandates.
4. Good communication and interpersonal skills with patients, visitors and staff members.
5. Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques, be a self-starter, work effectively, organized and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
6. Ability to read, understands, follow and enforce safety procedures.
7. Bi-lingual English / Spanish, Tri-lingual preferred