Miss Hall’s School inspires and encourages each girl to pursue the highest standards of learning and character; to contribute boldly and creatively to the common good; and to seek a purposeful life, based on honor, respect, growth, and personal authenticity.
At Miss Hall’s School, we champion social justice; insist that all community members demonstrate respect for each other through words and actions; and affirm that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to learning and problem solving, discovery and personal growth, and cultivating empathy and cultural competency. Guided by these beliefs, and with the understanding that being an inclusive community requires ongoing work and commitment, we foster cross-cultural dialogue and allyship to honor and celebrate our diverse community.
The School Counselor helps students to manage the social, emotional, and personal challenges of adolescent development. Through individual counseling and all-school programming, the School Counselor supports students in developing wellness, personal awareness, and skills for life.
- Provide individual and group counseling to students in need of support with school adjustment, interpersonal conflicts, academic challenges, and/or mental health
- Triage, counsel, and/or refer students who seek help for mental or emotional health crises
- Work with students to increase self-awareness and social skills, address personal challenges, and strengthen learning and development; promote overall wellness and emotional health
- Collaborate with the Director of Health and Wellness, the Dean of Students, and the Student Life team to develop proactive wellness programing that encourages a safe and healthy School environment
- Help to identify and address any potential biases in the School’s wellness programs and services that could impede educational attainment for a diverse student population
- Model effective practices and continuous progress in school counseling while adhering to professional codes of ethics, legal mandates, and all School policies
- Participate in ongoing learning and growth in relevant fields such as health and development, language and culture, classroom and community environment, learning styles, and socioeconomic and resiliency factors in education
- Keep informed of changes in laws and regulations related to mental health and/or education
- Maintain frequent communication with off-campus mental health providers, campus staff, and caregivers in support of students
- Work with the Health and Wellness team to ensure continuous on-call emergency counseling coverage while students are at the School
- Dedication to the wellness of students and frequent communication with students advisors and parents is essential to this position
- Consult with teachers and staff on interventions and wellness in the classroom
- Maintain an active presence and participate fully in campus life by attending all-school and community activities.