Research and DevelopmentOverview
Perform industry and Afton specific laboratory tests as requested, complete preliminary analysis, and record data to support R&D projects. Responsibilities
Qualifications EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
- Participate in safety related activities and maintain an up-to-date understanding of company, industry and government safety procedures and regulations.
- Perform industry and Afton specific laboratory tests using established procedures. Assist in development and modification of tests as needed. Develop plan for testing and/or additive blending.
- Complete preliminary analysis and interpretation of test results. Prepare reports, memos, presentations, etc., and/or enter into database(s), to communicate results to appropriate parties. Handle requests and report results in agreed upon timelines.
- Operate specialized test equipment in accordance with established procedure. Perform tests accurately to insure reproducibility. Assume responsibilities for the maintenance and trouble shooting of the laboratory equipment and/or instrumentation necessary to perform the laboratory tests.
- Purchase, maintain, and/or obtain adequate inventory of samples and lab supplies for testing and work area. Maintain work area in a neat, clean, and safe condition.
- Maintain adequate level of specific as well as general technical expertise through training, seminars, etc., at the direction of management to support required activity.
- May blend components and/or develop new or modify existing formulations to meet objectives and may analyze various blends and base stocks to determine properties.
- May perform non-standardized laboratory procedures independently and/or with guidance of experienced personnel.
- May represent Afton with customers, industry organizations at the direction of management and may train other personnel as necessary.
- Assure that complete ISO documentation is maintained on all ISO or quality related activities. Participate in ISO related activities and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the ISO function.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Demonstrated lab and/or chemistry training, experience or aptitude
- Associate or Bachelor Degree
For NewMarket or Afton employees, an appropriate combination of experiences that will support the required skill base may replace one or more of the specific experience requirements above. SKILLS/ABILITIES:
- Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
- Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
- Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
- Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across Afton's organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging and rewarding interactions. Through this network provide support, exert influence. Influencing without authority.
- Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across regional and organizational boundaries
- Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
- Test Development and Execution of Testing - Develop and/or apply physical, chemical and mechanical testing to appropriately demonstrate and/or understand the mechanisms for our products performance and to improve the efficiency of product development.
- Basic computer literacy (i.e. Microsoft Office, Word, Excel).
- Demonstrates understanding and application of safe lab practices and procedures.