Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Alexion is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.Req ID:
New Haven, CTPosting Date:
August 20, 2019Attention: If you are a current Alexion employee, please apply via Alexion's internal Life & Career portal. Note that you will need to be connected to the VPN if you are applying away from the office.
Alexion does not contact candidates via instant messaging or chat tools. At no time will we ask candidates for fees associated with obtaining software, nor do we provide employees with a cashier's check to purchase new equipment. If you are contacted in this manner, please be aware that it is fraudulent, and please do not provide any information or money to these individuals. Applicants should only apply through this Alexion website. Any fraudulent activity should be reported to GSOC@alexion.comPosition Summary
The Research Scientist III contributes directly to the discovery of protein therapeutics for the treatment of severe rare diseases. The successful candidate will serve on cross-functional project teams and lead efforts to design, discover, characterize, and optimize protein therapeutics. This will be accomplished through lab-based work and by managing collaborations with CROs and strategic partners.Principal Responsibilities
- Apply understanding of protein chemistry, biochemical assay techniques, and protein characterization to design, purify, characterize, and optimize biologic therapeutics.
- Serve on project teams as the protein chemistry lead for protein therapeutic discovery.
- Establish fit-for-purpose protein purification methods and perform laboratory research to generate and characterize therapeutics.
- Project timelines.
- Manage collaborations with CRO and industry partners.
- Prioritize tasks and coordinate efforts to deliver quality results under aggressive timelines
- Keep meticulous records and generate technical reports to support regulatory filings.
- Present concepts, results and conclusions internally and externally.
- Remain current on new advances in macromolecular drug discovery and rare disease biology through literature research and attendance at relevant scientific meetings.
- Evaluate and propose new targets/ indications for the portfolio.
- Ph.D. with 5-8 years relevant industry experience.
- Expertise in protein chromatography using an FPLC platform, biochemical or cell based assay techniques, and protein characterization techniques
- Significant experience developing methods for protein characterization, functional assay and biochemical assay of macromolecular therapeutics.
- Ability to formulate testable hypotheses, design experiments, analyze data, draw conclusions and plan next steps.
- Creativity, innovation and critical thinking.
- Ability to distill information from various sources, identify gaps and issues and propose solutions.
- Capacity to manage and prioritize multiple projects and to allocate effort and resource appropriately.
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills; excels in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ph.D. or equivalent combination of degree and professional experience in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Chemical Engineering, Cell or Molecular Biology, Immunology or related field.
New Haven, CT, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes list of the World's Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts' Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
Alexion's aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. We are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. We hope you will consider joining our team. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
Alexion participates in E-Verify process. To learn more, please click on attached document(s)English