About the Job
Magoosh is looking for an experienced and effective Business Operations Manager to help scale our forecasting, modeling and analysis. Your goal will be to make sure that Magoosh has the resources necessary to deliver on our ambitious goals and that those resources are being deployed effectively. For the next ~2 years, this role will be an individual contributor reporting to the VP of Operations, Peter Poer. In the long term, this role may involve people management, including building out a business operations team.
This is a full-time, in-office position based in the Magoosh office in Berkeley, CA with an annual salary range of $117,000 - $126,000, depending on experience. You must be authorized to work in the US.
In this position, you will…
- Own accounting and budgeting. You’ll work with our external accountant to provide all departments and teams with timely, accurate financial information and help them prioritize spend. You’ll maintain and revise our profitability analysis for our business and products and generate reports for leadership.
- Own forecasting and modeling. You’ll create forecasts and financial models for new products, the business as a whole, and key projects that will help Magoosh make smart strategic decisions. In time, you will own all forecasting and modeling at Magoosh.
- Support strategic planning. You’ll provide information to leaders to support long-term, annual, and quarterly planning. You’ll analyze business metrics and data to discover insights about our business and identify which projects might be key drivers of our growth.
- Be a generalist. You’ll support other business operations projects as they arise; this could be anything from negotiating a contract with a vendor to creating financial processes. You’ll work cross-functionally to help teams plan and ensure that everyone at Magoosh has what they need to take on high-impact projects.
- Work hands-on wherever needed – we are a startup environment and we all try to pitch in when necessary!
- Have 3 - 5 years of experience in startup business operations, finance, investment banking, consulting, or a similarly analytical field.
- Possess strong financial modeling skills and the ability to help others build those skills.
- Can quickly build tools in Excel and/or Google Sheets to analyze data, create forecasts, and evaluate options.
- Can make smart trade-offs between accuracy and speed; you’re comfortable moving quickly in ambiguous situations but know when you need to slow down to get things exact.
- Are detail-oriented, but can see and explain the big picture.
- Are comfortable quantifying hard-to-quantify variables and influencing others to do the same.
Extra credit if you…
- Know SQL (well enough to pull the data you need with limited support).
- Have experience managing and/or building a team.
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post. To learn more about our benefits and perks, check out our benefits and perks doc.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
$117,000 - $126,000, depending on experience