PL+US: Paid Leave for the US is hiring a Development Communications Associate to help support our groundbreaking work to win paid family leave for everyone in the United States.
In just four short years, PL+US has won family leave for nearly 8 million people and tripled in size. We’ve won change at some of the top employers in the country, including Walmart and Starbucks, and we’re taking that momentum into the fight to win national public policy. Paid leave is poised to take off as the next high-profile national issue.
As the Development Communications Associate, you'll play a part in telling the PL+US story and value proposition to secure the resources to help PL+US win high quality paid family and medical leave by 2022.
You will be responsible for principally supporting the areas of Stewardship and Development Communications. This role will provide support to and work in collaboration with the Development Director, VP of Marketing and Communications, VP of Finance, and the Executive Director.
1. Materials Development and Support
- Create messaging and compelling storytelling to highlight the PL+US vision and value proposition
- Work with the Communications and Marketing team to develop beautifully branded pitch materials to support development activity including funder decks, one pager, case studies, and other materials as needed to support cultivation of major gift prospects and institutional funders
- Manage external graphic designer, photographer/videographer, or other consultants to produce marketing collateral/promotional materials
- Support the Development and Marketing and Communications team in developing collateral for fundraising events and campaigns
2. Digital Donor Communications
- Collaborate with the Digital Team to lead digital donor communications through email and social media
- Working with the Director of Major Gifts, develop donor persona segmentation and create targeted cultivation and fundraising campaigns to deliver effective and tailored donor communication
- Provide support to Executive Leadership on donor cultivation communications, gratitude and contribution recognition, event registration and all on-going donor communications
3. Stewardship and Funder Communications
- Support COO, Executive Director and Director of Individual Gifts in stewardship of institutional funder relationships by providing drafting regular communications updates and reporting
- Write and/or edit proposals in support of major gifts solicitations for foundations, corporations and individuals
- Provide a full range of administrative support for the Donor Relations & Development Communications team
Some of the Benefits of Working for PL+US
- Awesome team of high impact, low ego people who are in it to win.
- Flexible work schedule. If you need to leave early to pick up your kid from school or bring your mom to the doctor, that’s cool.
- Up to 6 months of paid family leave, as well as health, dental, and vision insurance (up to $850/month when you enroll in our plans).
- Generous time off. Unlimited vacation, 12 paid holidays, and we all take the week between Christmas and New Years off.
- Retirement accounts. We offer a 401(k) since we want you to retire one day.
- Commuter benefits program, medical and dependent care FSA program, and employer-paid life and disability insurance.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- 2+ years experience in development communications
- Passion for winning high quality paid family leave for everyone in the US
- Strong written, verbal and story-telling communication skills; experience in external communications around social impact, mission driven, issue advocacy, and/or political organizations
- Experience in creating persuasive and well branded organizational materials across print and digital, including: funder decks, one pager, case studies, prospectus, event materials (program, sell sheet, presentation), donor emails
- Sophisticated and sensitive approach to cultivating donor relationships
- Low ego, high impact, ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Can do attitude: willing to support with any and all communications for the highest organizational impact
Plus you might have one or more of these:
- Experience writing grant proposals
- Experience on single issue advocacy campaigns
- Experience in rapid response fundraising
- Experience in client services or ad agency or corporate branding
- Experience working in a distributed, remote, fast-paced working environment
- Relationships with potential funders and donors
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience.
Please submit your resume at Recruiterbox, and in lieu of a cover letter, please respond to the three application questions in the portal.
PL+US is deeply committed to diversity. We strongly encourage people of color, first-generation Americans, people with caregiving responsibilities, people with disabilities, and members of the queer community to apply.
PL+US is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.
This is a full time position with an annual salary range of $56,000 - $65,000, depending on skills and experience.