A cover letter and resume are important submissions for the hiring team to get a sense of your experience. In the cover letter, in two pages or less, please let us know how this role aligns with your career aspirations and skill set. Submit both a cover letter and resume as one file (because of system limitations).
What You Will Do
Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing & Market Strategy, as Marketing Copywriter you will contribute to the center's mission by developing compelling marketing copy and promotional video scripts that engage learners and students in the university's online degree programs and open, online learning courses, CAI's edtech tools, and other products, services, or events from the center. We are looking for a passionate, big idea person who has writing range (informational, anthemic, emotional, etc.), who wants to produce great work across channels.
About the Center for Academic Innovation
The Center for Academic Innovation is where creativity, excellence, and the University of Michigan's aspirations for societal impact combine to reimagine the future of higher education. Through curricular innovation, educational data and research, and educational technology, we position U-M as a global leader in academic innovation to create and inspire change in higher education and to reinforce an engaged and informed society. For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Writing and editing
Craft impactful marketing content to engage defined targeted audiences consistent with strategies outlined in project briefs.
• Develop creative for CAI marketing - in particular concepts and copy for paid advertising and promotional videos, and email marketing.
• Use available personas, research, and marketing strategy documents to inform your creation of marketing content.
• Modify and adapt our marketing content to ensure grammatical accuracy and adherence to the CAI and U-M editorial style and brand voice. Help with proofreading of content used in marketing communications materials.
• Contribute to the definition of CAI brands' style guides, editorial style, and brand voice.
• Contribute to the creation of learner stories for web, social.
• Help with other writing projects as needed.
Teamwork and collaboration
Collaborate with the CAI marketing team to ensure that work is on-strategy, on-brand, and well-integrated into cross-channel plans.
• Collaborate with the CAI media design team and marketing specialists to develop concepts and scripts for video assets.
• Partner with graphic designer and marketing team members to develop concepts for email, posters, web, and other channels
. • Contribute to an editorial content planning calendar.
Other responsibilities as assigned
• May include work with student fellows and external partners (e.g., agency partners).
Please Note: This is a 5 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding.
This is not a remote position and any adjustments to a standard in-person schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.
Must have legal authorization to work in the United States
• Generous time off
• A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
• Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
• Life insurance
• Long-term disability coverage
• Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Center for Academic Innovation (CAI) is committed to inclusion in our organizational work, culture, climate, and the products we create. We strive to recruit, develop, and retain a diverse team as a reflection of our commitment to our work designing equitable and inclusive learning and work environments that are necessary for the university community to make progress on solving societal challenges. CAI draws on each of our team member's unique backgrounds and experiences to guide our everyday work in the center, and our team collaborates with students, staff, and faculty on projects that center our commitment to DEIJ work. All interested applicants, including those from groups historically marginalized by educational privilege, are encouraged to apply.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
• Bachelor's degree
• At least three years of proven experience as a copywriter, developing engaging marketing campaign content for a variety of channels, including paid advertising, email, video, and web
• Proficiency in AP Style and accurate proofreading skills
• Experience writing to different audience segments, adapting tone and style