What is it like to be a counselor at Wellspring? You might want to take a look here!
SENIOR SUD COUNSELOR MENS HOUSE
February 3, 2015; updated 8/11/16, 10/19/17, 10/2/2019
Supervised by: Program Director
Full-time; Monday through Friday
FLSA Status: Non-exempt from the pay provisions of the Fair Labor and Standards Act.
Benefits For Senior Substance Abuse Counselor:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance and AD&D
- Short term disability insurance
- Vacation time
- 12 paid holidays
- Licensure reimbursement
QUALIFICATIONS For Senior Substance Abuse Counselor:
- Current Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor (LADC) and certification as a Certified Clinical Supervisor.
- Demonstrated management ability.
- Training, education and/or experience in counseling individuals with substance abuse and addiction with co-occurring mental health symptoms.
- Basic computer skills in word processing, e-mail, and Internet use.
General Description:Wellspring utilizes the Sanctuary Model, which is a trauma-informed client treatment organizational change model. The Sanctuary Model organizes both our treatment and the way we run our organization. Sanctuary is an inclusive model because it is a way of guiding leaders, staff, clients, and families to share the same language. Substance abuse counselors assist clients in their recovery from substance use and co-occurring disorders through counseling, education, role modeling, and empathetic trauma-informed support using Sanctuary framework.
JOB PURPOSE For Senior Substance Abuse Counselor: To assist the Program Director in managing residential treatment services and to assist clients in recovery from substance use disorder and co-occurring disorders through counseling, education, role modeling, and empathetic support.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS For Senior Substance Abuse Counselor:
- Provides management support services to Program Director.
- Provide clients and clinical team with guidance and support through the therapeutic process.
- Rotates on-call coverage.
- Assesses and evaluates clients in conjunction with the other treatment staff.
- Facilitates team staff meetings in the absence of the program director.
- Acts as a positive role model, providing clients and staff with guidance and support.
- Maintains a caseload of clients.
- Intake Conducts initial assessment and completes required documentation at admission.
- Orientation Describes the detoxification program and treatment to new clients.
- Assessment Gathers data from the client and other sources; analyze and interpret the data to identify client strengths, weaknesses, and needs.
- Treatment Planning Collaborates with the client to develop treatment plans, identifying and prioritizing problems, goals, and treatment methods.
- Counseling Provides individual, and group counseling.
- Education Provides clients and their families with information about substance abuse, co-occurring disorders, treatment, recovery, and resources.
- Crisis management Responds to client needs during extreme distress or emergencies including after hours on-call coverage.
- Case Management Coordinate with clients and resources to focus on identified needs and goals.
- Referral Identifies client needs that cant be met at Wellspring and assist client to use community resources and support systems.
- Consultation Connects with professionals on client treatment and services to assure comprehensive care.
- Record Keeping Maintains accurate and up-to-date counseling records.
- Monitors the safety and security of clients and the facility.
- Prepares for and participates in individual and group supervision, case review, and clinical staff meetings.
- Provides group supervision and individual supervision as necessary to the RCAs when Program Director is not available.
- Facilitates the maintenance of the group living atmosphere conducive to rehabilitation.
- Meets continuing education and other requirements to maintain professional licenses related to the position, including training requirements for the CCS exam and certification
ADDITIONAL DUTIES For Senior Substance Abuse Counselor:
Performs other duties as required by the Program Director, Finance Director and Executive Director.
PERFORMANCE FACTORS For Senior Substance Abuse Counselor:
Attendance and Dependability: Reports to work promptly at assigned hours and is seldom absent from work; submits accurate time sheets to the supervisor. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious, about assignments.
Communication and Contact The employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with clients, colleagues, and other individuals inside and outside the company while maintaining confidentiality of all client related information.
- Relationships with Others:Conveys a welcoming, empathic, hopeful attitude towards people with co-occurring conditions and supports a philosophy of dual recovery. Engages and welcomes people in ways that convey respect for diversity in a culturally appropriate way. Demonstrates high professional/ethical standards and works well with others as part of the treatment team. Has a therapeutic approach of being empathetic, respectful, and motivational, while encouraging clients to take responsibility for their lives.