Harvard UniversityEEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
17-Oct-2019Data Scientist, Media Manipulation
Harvard Kennedy School
The Technology and Social Change Research Project at Harvard Kennedy's Shorenstein Center is looking for an experienced technologist to extend researchers' ability to study sociotechnical systems at scale. You will contribute to a cross-institutional team of scientists, analysts and engineers to develop the next generation of theory and methods to study media manipulation and the information ecosystem. Under the advisement of the Director of the Technology and Social Change Research Project, you will conceptualize, build, and maintain the Global Media Manipulation Case book (GMMCB) with a team of others.
- You listen to qualitative researchers and can translate case studies into large-scale data analysis. Conversely, you can identify, isolate, and quantify case studies hidden within metadata.
- You are enthusiastic about the promises of machine learning and critical of the flaws encoded in training sets. You are not afraid to dig into literature, stackoverflow comments, and textbooks to prevent repeating work.
- We don't have the same resources as Google, but we have unique questions and novel datasets. You understand that certain questions warrant sophisticated approaches, however you are pragmatic and will start with the simplest approach first.
- You take the time to map out systems and experiments before you touch your text editor.
- We are a people first institution. We will arrange mentorship and peership to help shape your questions, execute your ideas, and nurture your career. You will have the opportunity to attend conferences and workshops as a speaker and as a participant.
- You value clear and honest communication, and value the contributions and expertise of qualitative colleagues.
- You fine-tune your understanding of the world.
- You draw upon established methods from computer vision and natural language processing to encode, contextualize and communicate data.
- You are question-driven, love to tinker, and a thoughtful problem solver.
- You will use a modern data science toolkit to manage multi-terabyte databases, build data pipelines, preprocess data, evaluate machine learning models, analyze networks, and produce meaningful data visualizations. The data scientist will collaborate with other scientists and data engineers and be responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining scalable software to transform and integrate large complex datasets into a reliable data infrastructure that can produce high quality data. Additionally, they will conduct data analyses, synthesize and apply relevant extant research, and develop and implement new learning technologies aligned with Harvard's core teaching and learning mission.
- You will have ample opportunity for career growth, with a discretionary budget to attend conferences, lead researcher trainings, and receive mentorships from the thought leaders of your field.
- You will be given the opportunity to participate fully in the research environment, including authoring papers and open source software, attending conferences and seminars, and working closely with a broad group of researchers associated with the Global Media Manipulation Case Book.
- Bachelor's Degree required along with 3 plus years of work experience required in a lab or research organization
- Experience with Python, data analysis tools (Pandas, Matplotlib, NumPy, Scikit-Learn), Linux/ Unix, relational (mySQL, postgres) databases, and Git
- Experience collecting, cleaning and analyzing data sets through APIs and webscraping
- Experience working with qualitative and quantitative teams
- Professional work experience with relational databases required
Additional InformationThis is a fully benefits-eligible term appointment ending on June 30, 2020, with the possibility of renewal
- Practical Machine Learning
- Experience with computer vision (deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Analyzing social media data
- Curiosity of Internet subcultures
- Experience with cloud storage and computing instances (AWS)
- Contributions to open source software
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.Job Function
Information Technology, ResearchSub Unit
USA - MA - CambridgeDepartment
Shorenstein Center for Media Politics and Public PolicyTime Status
00 - Non Union, Exempt or TemporarySalary Grade