Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Alexion is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.Req ID:
New Haven, CTPosting Date:
November 15, 2019Attention: If you are a current Alexion employee, please apply via Alexion's internal Life & Career portal . Note that you will need to be connected to the VPN if you are applying away from the office.
Alexion does not contact candidates via instant messaging or chat tools. At no time will we ask candidates for fees associated with obtaining software, nor do we provide employees with a cashier's check to purchase new equipment. If you are contacted in this manner, please be aware that it is fraudulent, and please do not provide any information or money to these individuals. Applicants should only apply through this Alexion website. Any fraudulent activity should be reported to GSOC@alexion.comPosition Summary
The Associate Scientist III is an experienced member of the Protein Chemistry group that supports Discovery Research by supplying and characterizing of potential protein therapeutics and protein reagents needed to test them. The Associate optimizes existing protein purification methods and characterization assays. The Associate contributes to the Discovery Research's productivity as an individual contributor at the bench and by managing work through external contractors.Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Support Discovery Research through the delivery of high quality protein samples to research project teams and external groups.
- Work with protein requestors and other Protein Chemistry team members to ensure delivery of reagents to project teams and other laboratories in a fast paced environment.
- Perform in vitro functional analyses of purified protein products.
- The candidate is expected to use a combination of traditional methods and cutting edge technologies to ensure the highest quality and speed of reagent production.
- Exercise some independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluating criteria for obtaining results
- The Associate Scientist III is expected to project timelines up to 3 months into the future and complete objectives within the agreed upon time frame.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records (notebook and databases) in accordance with Alexion policy.
- The individual in this position will have an in-depth understanding of the research laboratory environment and be familiar with all basic and some complex laboratory equipment / instrumentation
- Meaningful experience with several methods of protein chromatography (e.g. multiple types of affinity chromatography, ion exchange chromatography, hydrophobic interaction chromatography, etc.).
- Significant experience with purified protein sample handling and characterization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working within a matrix research organization
- Experience running plate-based in vitro enzymatic functional assays
- Experience in biophysical characterization of purified proteins is a plus
- A track record of consistent high quality results and improvements in efficiency.
- B.S. or M.Sc. in biological sciences or chemistry with 5+ yrs of industry experience.
New Haven, CT, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime - like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes list of the World's Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts' Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
Alexion's aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. We are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. We hope you will consider joining our team. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com .
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
Alexion participates in E-Verify process. To learn more, please click on attached document(s)
English / Spanish