Oregon Health & Science University
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.Location:
Regular Full-TimeJob Type:
OHSU-PSU School of Public HealthSalary Range:
$55k-$85K, salary commensurate with experienceHR Mission:
Staff Biostatistician will collaborate with and provide support to health sciences investigators at OHSU and the Portland VA Medical Center. General responsibilities include providing study design and methodology guidance to investigators, as well as data management, programming and statistical analysis activities for internal and external reports, manuscripts and other publications. Statistical activities related to grant preparation, including power and sample size calculations/simulation are required as well.
Incumbent will collaborate (via FTE arrangement) on research projects and grants with a health services research group at the Portland VA Medical Center. Some regular onsite work at the Portland VA Medical Center will be necessary. Familiarity and experience working with electronic health records and/or administrative claims data extremely essential for this position. Incumbent will also assigned to support investigators similar types of projects in specific OHSU departments, and/or provide collaborative services through the Biostatistics Design Program (BDP).
This position involves significant interaction with the clients, requiring excellent and effective oral and written communication skills. For example, the incumbent must be able to explain complex statistical concepts and results to biomedical researchers who have little statistical training. The incumbent is expected to learn new methods and programming techniques, as well as participate in continuing education activities to keep up with modern, cutting-edge statistical methods. Designation at the Biostatistician I or II dependent on the amount of health sciences research experience, publications and amount of oversight required by supervising faculty. The position reports directly to Dr. Jodi Lapidus, Professor of Biostatistics, OHSU-PSU School of Public Health and Director, Biostatistics and Design Program.Function/Duties of Position
- Statistical collaboration including project management, data management (specifically creating analytic data files from VA or electronic health record/administrative data), statistical programming/ analysis, plus writing statistical reports, relevant sections of grant applications and manuscripts.
- Contribute to discussion and decision on study design, statistical approaches and analytical strategies with PI, co-PIs and other collaborators.
- Triaging requests for biostatistics collaboration in the BDP and/or holding advice sessions with investigators. This includes working with BDP admin to track and report unit's activities.
- Professional development including keeping up with current statistical knowledge through study group meetings, seminars and professional conferences.
- Masters degree in biostatistics, statistics or related field.
- Experience with statistical programs such as R, Stata, SAS or others, data management experience, and strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience/Skills related to curating, preparing and analyzing electronic medical record and/or administrative claims data is essential for this position.
- Demonstrated mature and effective interpersonal communications skills including tact, diplomacy and flexibility with appropriate demeanor to maintain good working relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with faculty and investigators, staff, students, and visitors at all levels within OHSU and in the community. The ability to forge and foster collaborative working relationships and enlist the support of faculty and staff, both within and external to BDP, VA and SPH.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage and perform multiple tasks under conditions of fluctuating workloads, competing requirements, and changing deadlines; working independently and following through on assignments with minimal direction. Ability to work in a complex environment.
- Discretionary judgment necessary to handle confidential matters.
- Ability to analyze problems and offer creative solutions and implement changes.
- Strong time management and demonstrated capability to work on multiple projects at one time.
- Strong demonstrated organization skills, with the ability to understand overall program objectives and maintain attention to detail.
Additional DetailsThis position can be filled at the Biostatistician I or II level depending on the final candidate's qualifications.All are welcome
- 2-5 years health sciences collaborative research experience.
- Experience with longitudinal methods