Research and Development - ChromatographyWork Type:
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website www.amyris.com.
Looking for efficient, self-motivated candidates who enjoy collaborating in fast-paced, cross-functional operational settings. As a member of the high-functioning Chromatography team, you will be part of the multidisciplinary Screening and Analytics department (SCAN). Within Chromatography you will contribute to operationalizing, optimizing and running high-throughput assays while working closely with the Amyris fermentation, biology, process development and scientific computing groups to develop and implement scientific assays supporting various R&D projects and providing information as efficiently as possible.
You are curious and ask relevant questions in the process of finding a suitable solution. You enjoy problem solving and take initiative seeking ways to optimize and improve existing processes. You thrive working with collaboratively with others, are eager to learn and not shy to share your knowledge. Advanced coding/computer skills and prior lab experience are a strong advantage.Responsibilities
- Working hands-on using and troubleshooting GC, LC and IC systems - including replacement of consumables, mobile phase/eluent preparation as well as set-up or modification of equipment. Troubleshoot laboratory failures, suggest and implement corrective actions.
- Transferring newly developed assays into an operational setting - including standard preparations and calibration assessments. Collaborate on experimental design and sample analysis.
- Running routine samples to acquire and process data with tight turnaround times. Answering data related questions and explaining results to customers as needed.
- Work with cross-functional project teams to develop and deploy assays and tools for either and/or both - laboratory and analysis - to support production of different molecules.
- Regular critical evaluation and documentation of the performance of active methods. Apply organizational and creative skills to propose innovative and impactful quality and/or efficiency improvements using cost/benefit analysis.
- Contribute to the overall scientific knowledge and skill level of the group through collaborating, teaching, and interacting with group members at all levels. Share your finding by giving presentations to internal audiences as well as writing up findings, results and/or established procedures in form of research reports, technical notes or SOPs.
- The most important requirement for this position is a desire to solve problems and share knowledge. Specifics below are highly desired, but we are open to have you convince us of how your track record of creative thinking, organization and collaboration may trump a lack of experience in a specific area below:
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Chemistry/Biology/Statistics/Engineering or related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience working in a fast-paced laboratory setting shepherding analytical methods from development stage to operational setting.
- High mechanical aptitude - demonstrated ability to use, understand, maintain, troubleshoot and repair instruments such as GC, HPLC/UPLC, IC and other laboratory instruments as well as tools such as balances, volumetric glassware, pipettes, etc.
- Ability to swiftly adapt to new software as well as previous experience using chromatography software. Experience using statistical packages, data visualization tools, and scripting languages for data manipulation, analysis and process improvement.
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal as well as time-management skills, high degree of flexibility. Analytical thinking skills, creativity, resourcefulness, good intuition for problem solving.
- Ability to take initiative and work efficiently and cross-disciplinary in a start-up company environment. Familiarity with quality concepts such as 5S and Lean.
- Attention to detail and record keeping skills. Scientific writing and presentation skills for the preparation of technical reports, SOPs and presentations.
- Ability to work overtime and weekend hours as needed.