We are the world’s learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment,powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.
We value diversity and inclusion. We value the power of inclusive culture, so we embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do.
Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all employees are given the chance to reach their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the center of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce please click here.
The Vice President, Business Development is a senior leadership role that will report directly to the Managing Director, Online Learning Services. The Vice President, Business Development will lead a geographically dispersed team of direct reports. The role is mandated with developing and bringing to life a strategy that will drive new business development opportunities to broaden Pearson’s Online Program Management base of business, with a specific orientation towards large-scale, enterprise deals. This mandate will include coordination, support and monitoring of business development activities across North America.
The role will blend a strong selling orientation with superior strategic thinking and business development acumen. The Vice President, Business Development will play an integral part in maintaining the organization’s position at the forefront of online education, forging strong relationships with customers and key stakeholders. Critical to success in this role will be the incumbent’s strategic and practical capabilities coupled with his/her business acumen and ability to identify, analyze, pursue and close profitable enterprise deals that fit within the organization’s strategy. The ideal candidate must have exceptional communication skills, relationship building, influencing and negotiation skills as well as the ability to lead and manage change.
The Vice President, Business Development role will appeal to a confident, poised, sophisticated professional who is passionate about higher learning and identifying and developing new synergistic business opportunities. She will be consistent in words and actions, values driven, and highly committed to playing an integral role on the senior management team during a period of organizational change.
12-18 MONTH DELIVERABLES
- The incumbent will have clearly articulated a strategy that prioritizes enterprise deals, and successfully balances growth initiatives, aggressive profit expectations and the need to expand the organization’s account acquisition mandate. In accordance with this strategy, the incumbent will have successfully closed one to two new enterprise deals.
- The incumbent will have invested their time understanding the business, including the organization’s key partners. They will have earned credibility, and the respect and trust of the senior leadership team, their direct reports in sales, and the broader organization through demonstrated competency and the ability to both execute and deliver.
- The incumbent will have developed strong working relationships with Deans, Provosts, other faculty members and any additional key stakeholders in Pearson’s key account network. The incumbent’s integrity and reputation for delivering excellence will be without question.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- The ideal candidate will possess a University degree in business, engineering, or an education related field. A post-graduate degree is an asset, but not a requirement.
- The ideal candidate has approximately ten to fifteen years’ experience in sales, business development or potentially marketing roles with demonstrated success in complex sales or persuasion processes at high levels. Ideally, this will include experience selling into large-scale enterprise accounts (such as academic institutions).
- The candidate is adept at bringing a strategy to life and executing in complex, multi-stakeholder environments and will be able to point to specific examples of where and when they have created such strategies that have led to significant success.
- The candidate will be an ambitious business-builder; possesses a mind set of “how to grow top line” as opposed to “how to cut costs”; knows how to create new opportunities and is an outstanding dealmaker. The successful candidate knows the customer’s business as well, and in some respects, better than the customer.
- The Vice President, Business Development is analytical, possesses outstanding financial acumen and qualitative abilities and is able to structure and assess complex deals. She is an outstanding negotiator who can leverage strong brand equity to deliver results in a fast paced, high growth environment.
- The incumbent is prepared to roll up their sleeves and operate autonomously and able to work with all levels of an organization. The Vice President, Business Development is a master storyteller with an inquisitive mind who is both positive and passionate and can build a winning value proposition.
- Of critical importance to success will be speed, efficiency and excellence in execution and delivering results.
In summary, the Vice President, Business Development will be a high achiever who possesses the energy, ambition, drive and commitment to operate autonomously and deliver results in a fast paced, achievement oriented culture. They will have a balance of leadership qualities, technical skills, and business acumen to quickly earn the trust and respect of the organization as a whole.
Develop strategy with tomorrow’s markets in mind
Masterful in front of the customer
Challenge the status quo
- Direct and coordinate company sales and business development functions.
- Develop and coordinate sales selling cycle and methodology.
- Direct and oversee the company business development function to identify and develop new customers for products and services.
- Research and develop strategies and plans which identify opportunities, and new product development.
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of sales, methods, costs, and results.
- Establish and implement short and long range goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures.
- Develop and drive key objectives and alignment between potential partners and Online Learning Services.
- Work with department managers and corporate staff to develop five year business plans.
- Develop and manage a strong team of Business Development professionals.
- Work with internal partners to help support Online Learning Services brand messaging through events (conferences and sponsorships), as well as any other joint marketing activities.
- Degree from an accredited institution in Business, Sales, or related field - OR appropriate combination of education and significant experience
- Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience with successful and demonstrable track record in business development in higher education.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters’ degree with Doctorate preferred.
- Experience in selling intangibles – selling solutions vs. products; sales process focused.
- Hands on leader with a high degree of personal accountability and integrity.
- Territory management expertise.
- Develop solicitation strategies; write effective proposals; and communicate effectively and establish cooperative working relationships.
- Excellent negotiation skills and experience developing and structuring agreements to support Online Learning Services and partner objectives.
- Results-oriented professional with strong work ethic. Demonstrated success working independently, working on many activities concurrently.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written communication and strong/succinct oral communication skills essential.
- Relationship builder – both internally and externally.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
Supervises a team of Business Development/Sales Professionals who are dispersed across the US.
Salary commensurate with experience.