Position Title: Senior Director, Early Learning
Department: Education & Engagement
Classification: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: SVP, Education & Engagement
Location: Costa Mesa
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan and Professional Development Opportunities
Work With Purpose!
Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC) is looking for an experienced Early Learning Professional who enjoys developing strategy, excels in program development, and can enhance community partnerships. If this sounds like the job for you, then submit your cover letter and resume today!
About Public Media Group of Southern California (PMGSC)
Public Media Group of Southern California (KCET, PBS SoCal and LINK TV) tell stories that matter through original programs that reflect the diversity of the region, and the full schedule of trusted PBS programs. Our content channels – KCET and PBS SoCal – are available for free on internet – connected screens and seven local broadcast channels. LINK TV can be accessed through national satellite channels.
A donor- supported community institution, PMGSC sparks the sharing of ideas at in-person cultural events and community conversations and delivers social impact through services that prepare our most vulnerable children for school.
This full-time, exempt position reports to the SVP, Education and Engagement and is responsible for the vision, management, and execution of PMGSC’s early learning efforts including strategy, station outreach, program development, and community partnerships. The Senior Director, Early Learning represents PMGSC’s early learning department internally providing strategic leadership, oversight, and primary project management for key educational initiatives and externally through the creation of strategic and project-specific relationships with external organizations and project funders. Additional responsibilities include staff development and training, quality assurance, program evaluation, department budget management, and assistance in the preparation of grant proposals and reports.
50% Strategy and Oversight
- Executes and expands comprehensive early learning strategy to meet and exceed station priorities including, engagement of the key community organizations in early learning.
- Ensures adherence to the mission, vision and aims of organization/department providing leadership and oversight of overall projects/programs to ensure success.
- Provides direction and support for project and programs implementation, design, redesign, and evaluation combining the programmatic and evaluation components for impact.
- Oversees and ensures alignment and engagement of project teams, consultants, program facilitators, community partners and evaluation team.
- Collaborates with cross-functional digital content, digital services, and production teams to ensure early learning initiatives and pedagogy are represented across all platforms and distribution outlets including collaboration on content creation, production, and editorial.
- Ensures internal accountability and project success across all PMGSC projects and initiatives related to early childhood.
- Ensures that early learning philosophy, policies, program and methods follow educational guidelines and pedagogy of CA Early Childhood Frameworks and Common Core Standards.
- Recruits, trains, supervises and evaluates early learning staff to ensure that the highest standards of excellence are maintained, individually and as a team.
- Mentors staff and provides professional development and training
50% Partnerships and Community Leadership
- Cultivates and oversees strategic and project-specific relationships with external organizations and project funders
- Implements and leverages external relations tactics to promote ongoing public awareness of station’s early learning initiative and activities including written communication in a number of formats and presenting to a variety of local, state, and national audiences, both planned and extemporaneous.
- Interfaces with and convenes leaders of the community, educators, and the public to support and enhance collective impact efforts, particularly in early childhood math and literacy.
- Monitors trends in education pedagogy and remains current on early learning media/technology methodology.
- Coordinate and facilitates development of program advisory committee, including parent, teachers, and key stakeholders
- Supports SVP, Education and Engagement with project cultivation, communication, and other outward facing activities, as needed.
- Attends meetings and ascertain community leaders’ input on a regular basis to track community issues and needs.
- Respond to inquiries, conduct daily business, and represent the station with a highly professional and personable demeanor at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, 8+ years early learning & relationship development experience in education or a large nonprofit setting preferable.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing people and complex projects
- Innovative, entrepreneurial skillset with ability to identify areas of growth
- Skilled multi-tasker who can prioritize, work autonomously, establish timelines and meet deadlines.
- Exhibits high level of organization, time management skills and management of numerous details for multiple projects.
- Ability to interface effectively and positively with all levels of the organization
- Able to cultivate relationships with targeted systems/organizations including a diverse population of community leaders and stakeholders
- Ability to proactively monitor and adjust activities to respond to changing circumstances and priorities to meet goals
- Experience with current educational technology practices
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Google Docs, Apple technology (ipads, etc.), and current educational technology practices and methodology
- Highly skilled in effective oral and written communication
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends, on occasion
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Required background check and fingerprinting
- Valid CA Driver’s License and dependable vehicle to travel to outreach events
Equal Opportunity Employer
PMGSC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.