Greenpeace is known for its creative communications and nonviolent direct action -- and for the people behind them. As part of our People & Culture team, you're charged with continuously challenging, improving, and refining performance, learning & development program delivery to support the growth and development of our staff as they work toward a green a peaceful future. Reporting to the Director of People & Culture, the Senior Manager, Performance & Learning will shape the creation, evolution, management and execution of Greenpeace’s PL&D strategies across the organization to support staff development and the achievement of organizational goals.
The Senior Manager, Performance & Learning will work closely with teams across Greenpeace to deliver programs and initiatives that enhance Greenpeace’s People Strategy and improve our people development programs, including but not limited to designing new training programs, developing new approaches to performance management, coaching managers, and analyzing data to make our programs smarter and higher impact. They will often be the lead implementers on people related strategies redesigning and/or realigning our learning processes and programs or building them from the ground up.
Greenpeace values justice, equity & diversity, both internally and throughout our efforts worldwide. This role will serve as a champion for equity and justice in staff development & learning, and will be a great fit if you are an experienced, learning professional with a strong work ethic and passion for fostering an organizational culture of justice, equity, and continuous improvement through learning. Our ideal candidate will have the intellectual curiosity, problem solving capability and courage to challenge the status quo to ensure equitable outcomes in all of our learning and staff development programs! They are a positive and thoughtful self-starter that can take initiative and adapt to evolving circumstances. They have a great attention to detail, and they think strategically about the big picture and how to make it better. They do not feel that any job is too small. They thrive under pressure and are a skillful manager of priorities and projects.
This is a full time, exempt, benefits eligible position based in Oakland, CA or Washington, DC.
The Senior Manager, Performance & Learning is responsible for:
- Leading the development of Performance & Learning framework, strategy, and execution for Greenpeace USAs employees with an initial emphasis on creating an overall forward-looking, justice-centered leadership development program and roadmap
- Partnering with organizational leadership to think through some of our most difficult and strategic talent challenges and developing programs to assess, strengthen and develop teams
- Partnering internally, externally and across the international Greenpeace network to identify and implement internal and external best practices that service the strategic needs Greenpeace USA
- Assessing training and development needs and determining initiatives needed to support departments and teams in achieving their goals
- Developing and delivering training programs that align with our long term strategic focus areas
- Serving as the primary writer and editor of e-courses and learning programs that are adapted to the Greenpeace audience including: facilitator notes, participant materials, supplementary resources and tools, and all participant and stakeholder communications
- Leading the design and delivery of post-program, follow-up and support; building and executing a measurement strategy to align program outcomes with organizational impact
- Proactively managing and tracking key dates, events, and communications
- Leading, designing, facilitating, administering and improving key processes related to goal-setting, talent planning, performance management, etc. and driving outcomes from these processes to deliver on organizational objectives
- Providing coaching, facilitation, team development, leadership assessment and organization development services to implement departmental and organizational initiatives and enhance organizational performance
- Managing the continued development and utilization of an LMS (Humentum; StudyTube); the development, design, and implementation of organizational learning and leadership programs and organizational development initiatives
- Designing solutions that preserve the unique and healthy organizational cultures, working closely with leadership to improve feedback and focus on development
- Directing the execution of all staff development processes in partnership with Director of People & Culture and leadership team
- Working closely with organizational leaders to address development gaps, and design and execute high-impact and scalable learning experiences informed by organizational needs
Engagement & Culture Management
- Partnering with Director of People & Culture to lead the employee engagement strategy and survey processes
- Utilizing insights from survey data to identify strategies that support employee engagement and partnering with organizational leaders to drive meaningful actions via a robust continuous improvement planning process
- Integrating justice and equity concepts into new and existing learning programs and experiences
- Leading by example and positively influencing stakeholders, staff and team members
- Building strong partnerships with organizational leaders. Being a role model for our values and exceptional collaboration, while driving alignment and clear decision making
Change Management & Organizational Design
- Applying change management theory, best practices, and processes to lead small and large-scale change associated with new learning experiences
- Actively collaborating on change management and or design processes associated with organizational changes and learning interventions
- Consulting with Director of People & Culture and organizational leaders on large-scale change planning and execution
Minimum requirements for the Senior Manager, Performance & Learning include:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in learning & organizational development with a depth of experience in creating learning tools, resources, and activities to develop leaders in a midsize progressive organization
- 3+ years grassroots organizing, campaigning, or digital mobilization experience
- 2+ years implementing diversity and equity learning strategies
- Experience leading successful, complex, high-impact projects
- Ability to scan the internal and external environment and proactively take action to add value
Additional qualifications for Senior Manager, Performance & Learning include, but are not limited to:
- Consultative and analytical mindset, with the ability to navigate a vast diverse and complex landscape.
- Innovative, strategic thinker who can effectively leverage data to improve efficiency
- Excellent follow through, judgment, and common sense.
- Possess strong sense of urgency. "Make it happen" attitude.
- Exceptional written and verbal/nonverbal skills, along with finely tuned interpersonal skills and professional judgment. You must be able to demonstrate empathy toward employees and serve as their trusted resource.
- Have a track record as a successful change agent who can transform operations through people
- A highly collaborative leadership style with the ability to partner with and influence key organizational leaders and build high functioning teams
- Ability to develop and execute a proactive learning & development strategy focused on building leadership skills to promote employee engagement
If you are excited to design and execute a development strategy that enhances the skills, knowledge and abilities of activists fighting for real climate solutions that ensure environmental equity and hold corporations and governments accountable, we need you! Please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact email@example.com.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff that choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
This job description is designed to showcase the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not an exhaustive description of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required. Actual duties and responsibilities will vary.