University of Michigan-Dearborn is an inclusive, student-focused institution. We are committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research and scholarship, as well as access, affordability and metropolitan impact.
Founded on more than 200 beautiful acres of the original Henry Ford Estate, UM-Dearborn was forged in a community of working people with the global economy in mind.
We offer a transformative education reflective of University of Michigan acclaim and rooted in an ongoing commitment to transform metropolitan Detroit. Since our inception, we have set ourselves apart in higher education through intentional, meaningful engagement with local industry, government and nonprofits.
UM-Dearborn is rich in opportunities for independent and collaborative research, integrated learning and civic engagement. We are responsive to the changing needs of our diverse student body, the world in which they live and work, ever-advancing technologies, and a knowledge-based global economy.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Empowering student learning through broad and deep interaction with the liberal arts and sciences, professional studies and cutting-edge research;
- Applying innovative pedagogies to advanced teaching and learning;
- Building the knowledge and skills essential for personal transformation, professional success and advancing the common good;
- Creating and sharing knowledge through pioneering research and maximizing our partnerships with diverse sectors of our community;
- Fostering a dynamic environment where innovation, openness and creativity flourish;
- Preparing our graduates to become engaged citizens and creative leaders, ready to offer inventive solutions to regional, national and global challenges;
- Forging mutually beneficial partnerships with businesses, community-based organizations, educational institutions and government agencies;
- Striving to be the institution of choice in southeast Michigan for individuals and organizations that value accessibility, flexibility, affordability, diversity, inclusion and preeminence in research, scholarship, education and engagement.