Major NYC 501c(3) nonprofit organization is looking for a Vice President of Development and Communications.
The Vice President of Development and Communications is responsible for directing and implementing the fundraising, communications, public relations and marketing efforts for the organization. S/he will develop a strategy and oversee all fundraising and development issues related to generating public and private (foundation, corporate and individual) funding and increase the visibility and understanding of the work and mission of the organization. S/he will serve as a critical support in developing sustained funding from grants, contracts and donations across the organization, exercising due diligence with regard to overall organizational mission, priorities and fiscal feasibility. S/he will promote the organization through communications utilizing strategic communications goals and methods.
The Vice President of Development and Communications is responsible for positioning the organization as a premier research and service organization. S/he is responsible for presenting the public image and vital important organizational information to agencies and various constituencies employing methodologies including publication of newsletters and fact sheets, press releases, etc. As an editor, s/he provides all of the departments including those with proposal writing responsibilities with support allowing for the best professional presentation to internal and external audiences.
The Vice President of Development and Communications must be a highly intelligent, self-directed a leader who shares the board’s vision and commitment to the mission of the organization. S/he should have demonstrated experience in health, social services or human services and must demonstrate significant accomplishments in fundraising. Successful experience with local and national foundations, motivating board members and soliciting individual gifts is a main prerequisite. S/he must be able to work closely with the board and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork that always puts the organization and its programs first and foremost.
Additional qualities key to success in the role:
- A strategic thinker, planner and problem solver
- Able to identify and respond quickly and effectively to opportunities
- Hands-on multi-tasker
- Analytical, confident and decisive in his or her actions
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills
- Skilled negotiator
- Possess sound judgment
- Creative, charismatic, diplomatic, personable, and of the highest integrity
- Sense of humor
- Create long range and short-term plans, instituting measurable goals and objectives so that all fundraising and communications stakeholders are able to work collaboratively with a clear sense of direction, objectives and deadlines
- Participate as a member of the senior management team that guides the organization
- Direct the work of staff involved in writing, editing, web development, graphic design, communications strategy, videography, and project management.
- Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Develop and supervise the revenue and expense budget for both development and communications in conjunction with the fiscal department
- Manage budget, and make informed and cost-effective decisions about vendor selection in consultation with appropriate fiscal personnel.
DEVELOPMENT and FUNDRAISING
- Conceptualize and supervise the implementation of fundraising and major gift cultivation events
- Establish a strong working relationship with senior management and program directors to identify funding priorities, develop proposals, integrate development activities into the organization’s operations and generate material for communications vehicles
- Establish a strong working relationship with the board of directors and the development committee to support and enhance fundraising efforts
- Identify, cultivate and oversee the solicitation and securing of grants and gifts for the development and expansion of new and existing programs to focus resources quickly to where they are most needed in dealing with chronic and emerging public health issues
- Maintains a broad base of contacts within the government and public health community
- Oversee the strategy for and production of fundraising publications, mailings, websites, videos, ad campaigns, digital and social media, and stewardship materials.
- Responsible for development of the organization’s annual fundraising event through contacts and networks.
- Ensure appropriate systems and procedures are in place to research, cultivate, solicit and acknowledge donations
- Manage the fundraising information system so that data is timely, accurate and consistently recorded in accordance with development, finance and regulatory policies and procedures
- Facilitate the organization’s visibility related to its health service to the community
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the organization’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding the organization’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Direct and coordinate public relations activities and events
- Develop and manage press relations and place stories
- Oversee the implementation of marketing and communications plans.
- Oversee the preparation of publications, which include newsletters, the annual report, research reports, brochures, web material and press releases
- Maintain branding by ensuring appropriate use of graphic standards and consistency of visual design throughout the organization
- Maintains key effective working relationships with members of senior management team and assist with their internal and external communications needs.
- Strategize with senior management team to position the organization as a premier provider of community health services
- Enhances the verbal and visual quality of the organization as a quality institution
- Develop evaluation metrics to determine effectiveness and return on investment of marketing and communications activities.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Facilitates the editing of RFPs and proposals for placing the agency’s granting and funding acquisition in the most favorable way.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Seven to 10 years of demonstrated success in development and communications in the non-profit arena
- Prior experience overseeing public relations, marketing, and social media
- Experience with major gift giving including identification of prospects, formulating cultivation plans, soliciting major gifts, and conducting an effective stewardship program
- Experience with development software such as Raiser’s Edge
Minorities strongly encouraged to apply
To apply, please forward cover letter and resume to email@example.com
We are an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled