KaBOOM! is looking for a high-energy and self-motivated Strategic Communications Lead to join our External Affairs team in Washington, D.C. As the Strategic Communications Lead you will play a key role on the External Affairs team by developing and executing core communications strategies that will bring greater visibility to the KaBOOM! brand and mission.
This is an exciting time to join KaBOOM!. While we remain focused on making sure all kids get the childhood they deserve through play, we are innovating in ways that will make a greater difference in the communities we serve across the country.
What you’ll do:
- Build strong relationships with internal departments and external partners (corporate, philanthropy and other key stakeholders) to create and implement communications plans that support defined partnership goals
- Lead the creation of content for internal and external needs including press releases, one-pagers, talking points, quotes, blogs, newsletters, annual reports, conferences, videos, special events, campaigns, etc.
- Act as project manager – creating timelines and action plans to drive key projects to completion
- Build relationships with media, seeking opportunities to highlight our work
- Provide counsel on social media strategies for communications plans that drive national and local engagement
- Provide media guidance and support for high-profile KaBOOM!-led playground builds
- Actively contribute to our inclusive work environment by valuing other people regardless of differences and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence
What you have:
- 7+ years of marketing and communications experience, preferably in a non-profit environment, along with Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field
- Outstanding written communication skills including experience preparing press releases, news articles, presentations, video scripts, reports and promotional content
- Outstanding verbal communication skills including experience giving presentations and working with the media at events and conducting interviews
- Demonstrated success pitching and working with members of the media
- Ability to work effectively in informal and formal teams with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Possess the skills necessary to prioritize, multi-task and thrive in a culture of rapid change
- Model the behaviors that demonstrate commitment to KaBOOM! vision, mission, culture and values