University of DelawareEqual Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.htmlJob No:
Full Time, Facilities ManagementAFSCME LOCAL 439Schedule: Mon- Fri 5am- 1:30pmGENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under general supervision, performs routine building cleaning tasks and related work as required.DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASSIFICATION:
This is routine manual work that follows established procedures and requires the efficient and thorough performance of heavy cleaning tasks and the ability to operate equipment such as floor buffers and carpet shampoo machines.EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
1. Cleans and services restrooms/showers according to standards; scrubs and cleans fixtures, manually clears drain surface area; keeps restrooms supplied with paper products and other designated supplies.
2. Moves furniture, equipment and miscellaneous equipment as directed.
3. Operates snow removal equipment; removes snow and ice to include but not limited to; sweeps, shovels, and/or blows snow from steps, ramps, and walks surrounding building entrances and connecting walks.
4. Cleans, renovates and renews floor surface finishes; vacuums, sweeps, mops, scrubs buffs, refinishes and floors and other surfaces.
5. Cleans carpets and upholstered furniture; operates shampoo machines and furniture cleaning equipment.
6. Assists in removing unwanted pests/animals from buildings by opening windows and propping doors open, etc.
7. Removes, washes and hangs venetian blinds, drapes and shower/dressing curtains.
8. Replaces over-head lights.
9. Reports maintenance deficiencies in a timely manner (equipment repair and/or replacement) in assigned work area.
10. Removes bulk trash and recyclable products using mechanical equipment when necessary.
11. Cleans ranges, refrigerators and microwaves.
12. Sets up rooms for conferences; arranges classrooms and conference meeting rooms.
13. Makes beds as assigned.
14. Washes interior and exterior windows.
15. Maintains areas adjacent to buildings; sweeps outside steps, stairs, landings, and walks; cleans window well and door well drains.
16. Locks and unlocks interior and exterior doors to classrooms, lecture rooms, offices, residence halls, conference facilities, and buildings.
17. Cleans furniture and fixtures (including light diffusers, screens, and vents).
18. Sweeps, dust mops, vacuums, wet mops, scrubs and washes downs bleachers, seats and walkways; applies anti-static cleaner to seats.
19. Vacuums carpet and spot cleans where needed.
20. Enters hours worked in Time and Attendance computer program for payroll purposes;
21. May be a group leader.
22. Cleans and maintains custodial supply areas and equipment.
23. Operates and cleans laundry equipment.
24. Performs other related duties as assigned.SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires the ability to routinely move, lift and/or carry, with or without assistance, equipment, parts, and job-related materials exerting up to and including 50 pounds of force. Requires the ability to learn to operate power-cleaning equipment.ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS/OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURES:
The employee primarily works indoors. Occasionally performs duties outside in extreme heat or cold conditions, as well as conditions that are wet/humid, dry, and during times when temperatures are below 32F for more than one-hour periods. Environment may frequently include dust and/or airborne particles and occasionally loud noise, chemicals, gases, exposure to bloodborne pathogens, fumes and vibration. For this reason, employee may be required to wear designated personal protective equipment to include, but not limited to, ANSI-approved safety eyewear, gloves, hearing protection, dust mask, and footwear to prevent exposure to hazardous materials, noise, dust and/or airborne particles. The employee may be required to bend, squat, stretch and/or stand for prolonged periods of times. Requires the ability to climb and descend 12' ladders and work above floor level including from 32-ft. aerial lifts.REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Requires a high school diploma or GED. A minimum of 1 year related experience preferred. Requires some knowledge of cleaning methods, materials, and equipment and the ability to read, understand, and follow work related instructions, including safety procedures and directions on mixing chemicals, and work rules and ability to understand and follow oral and written directions. Requires interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and interact with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.REQUIRED APPEARANCE:
Employee is required to wear a clean and neat University-purchased uniform and project a professional appearance.Applications close: