Hawthorne CAT is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status Hawthorne CAT participates in E-VerifyHawthorne CatJob ID
Regular Full-TimeOverview POSITION SUMMARY:
Performs skilled welding in the repair, modification, and fabrication of equipment and facilities; makes minor mechanical repairs on a variety of heavy equipment; and performs related duties as required. Also must be able to perform all aspects of undercarriage work including remove and install of tracks, rollers and idlers.ResponsibilitiesESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Comprehend and interpret sketches and diagrams and Blueprint Reading.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Repairs broken or cracked parts and fills holes.
- Prepares broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces.
- Experienced and highly skilled in all types of cutting to include oxy-Acetylene, air arcing, and plasma. Stick and MIG, and flex-core welding.
- Familiar with proper welding procedures for all metals and alloys ordinarily found in heavy construction equipment.
- Repairs, modifies, lay-out, or fabricates (with or without schematics) a variety of metal work including construction vehicles and equipment.
- Cuts, fits, and welds metal using gas and electric welding, equipment, performs skilled brazing and soldering; and uses a variety of machines, such as power saws, grinders, and drills, in completing work.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Removal, installation, and/or repair of undercarriage components.
- General knowledge of tools and methods of the welding trade, including brazing, soldering electrical, and arc welding; the operation, minor repair, and preventive maintenance of gas-and diesel powered construction equipment; and safety practices related to welding and equipment repairs.
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from technical manuals; design, fabricate, and repair a variety of metal work; maintain simple records; perform minor repair and maintenance on a variety of diesel-powered heavy equipment; operate a variety of construction equipment; and work cooperatively with others.
- This position requires the ability to provide accurate information to lead/supervisor for quoting.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Will be certified prior to operating a forklift and a crane qualification test performed.
- Proven ability to work safely with a crane.
- Ability to work unsupervised efficiently, and be part of a team environment.
- Performs the position with pride in professionalism while following Hawthornes code of conduct.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prefer to have the following:
- Two (2) years experience in skilled gas and electric welding plus one year in minor repair of gas and diesel-powered heavy equipment.
- Possess basic computer knowledge and ability to use service software required in position.
- Must have valid Driver's License with a good record.
- Shop Requirements: Valid California Class "C" driver's license.
- Field Requirements: Valid California Class "B" driver's license, if assigned vehicle is required.
- Furnish all hand tools required to repair, test and diagnose hydraulic, air, power train, electrical and electronic systems on Caterpillar equipment.
- NOTE: Some high dollar value tooling is supplied by Hawthorne.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Applicants may be required to pass a written and/or oral examination before being considered for this position. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Walking and moving about on foot often through uneven terrain.
- Hands/arms operating equipment, hand and power tools.
- Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion. Raises or lowers miscellaneous equipment parts and tools.
- Handling: Works with hands.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required for certain repair or maintenance work.
- Climbing: In and out of equipment.
- Vision: Read work tickets, parts and service books and operate heavy equipment.
- Talking: Communications by radio, phone, in writing, and in person.
- Sitting: Sits in equipment and in vehicles.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Hearing: Hears well enough to discern mechanical problems for safety in and around shop and construction sites and to receive communication by radio, phone and in person.
- Laying: Lies in prone position under vehicles and equipment.
- Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
- Temperatures/Weather: Works in a warehouse & outside with variations of temperature and weather.
- Exposure: Foul odors, fumes and harsh substances.
Reasonable accommodations for essential functions of the position will be considered. Hawthorne Cat® is an Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.Hawthorne Cat® Participates in E-Verify.