The Buyer will be responsible for buying product or materials for production, working with suppliers to ensure timely delivery, working with operations to ensure their inventory is at proper levels for production/shipment and to ensure delivery of their needs on a timely basis; Analyze past buying trends, sales records, price, and quality of product/materials to determine value and yield, then working with Sales, Operations, Executive Management determine a forecast of product/materials needed based on results of this analysis. The Buyer will select, order, and authorize payment for product/materials according to contractual agreements. Works closely with Accounting to ensure they have everything needed to process payments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Examine, select, order, and purchase at the most favorable price product/material consistent with quality, quantity, specification requirements and other factors.
- Monitor and analyze sales records, trends, or economic conditions to anticipate consumer buying patterns and determine what the company will sell and how much inventory is needed.
- Authorize payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Confer with sales and operations personnel to obtain information about customer needs and preferences.
- Use computers to organize and locate inventory, and operate spreadsheet and database software.
- Work with Operations to manage inventory or supplies levels
- Order or purchase supplies, materials, or equipment
- Provide customer service
- Work with Suppliers and Freight Forwarders to ensure timely delivery of inventory
- Assist in the develop purchasing policies or procedures
- Fill out purchase requisitions
- Maintain records, reports, or files
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associates Degree in Business or related field, or 3 to 5 years experience; Bachelors Degree in Business-Supply Chain or related field preferred. Professional experience in Purchasing and/or Production Planning also preferred.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must be PC literate (MS Office) and have strong analytical and computer skills, organizational and interpersonal skills; excellent planning skills
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of resource allocation, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of promoting, and selling products or services helpful.
- Ability to compose professional correspondence through e-mail, letters, etc. Ability to read/review contracts to ensure terms/conditions meet requirements of the company.
- Economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data extremely useful. Experience in global markets would be extremely helpful.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Ability to understand mathematics, ie: arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computer systems such as Microsoft Office, Outlook, Accounting/Buying/Purchasing database systems (Epicor/Prophet 21 experience a plus) and the ability to manage files and records, creating forms, and other office procedures and terminology. Strong knowledge of Excel functionality utilizing VLookups, Pivot Tables, helpful. Recommended for a buyer/planner to have hands-on experience with MRP system.
- Must have strong communication skills with ability to communicate verbally, working with vendors, customers, operations, sales, other departments within the company
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.