SSI (U.S.) Inc. d/b/a Spencer Stuart
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.Location
: ChicagoFull/Part Time
: Full timeReq ID
: R915The Opportunity
Working at Spencer Stuart provides a rare opportunity for intellectual challenge, professional development, collaboration with caring colleagues, and importantly, the delivery of important and meaningful client work. As executive search and leadership consulting professionals, we are fortunate to earn a front row seat into some of the most important talent discussions at the world's most recognized and valued organizations. Leadership decisions are critical to get right, yet are deeply personal for those involved. Because these decisions affect the performance and reputations of our client organizations and the careers of individuals, we recognize the responsibility upon us and operate with great commitment, discretion and purpose. We enjoy winning, but also seek to give back. Those who thrive in results-driven, caring and team-oriented environments will find the culture at Spencer Stuart to be a great fit. For more information and videos that describe our culture and work in greater detail
, we invite you to visit our Muse site
: https://www.themuse.com/profiles/spencerstuartPosition Summary
An Analyst at Spencer Stuart is expected to develop in-depth knowledge of their area of focus; gaining this expertise includes understanding the implications of current news and issues, becoming familiar with executive leadership across a range of companies, and understanding market influences. Analysts typically spend two to three years with Spencer Stuart, and then go on to a top business school or an industry job of their choosing; select Analysts may stay with the firm and progress to an Associate role and beyond. Analysts develop deep understanding about leadership, expertise in their areas of practice focus and a sophisticated skill set in the areas of research, problem solving, project management and communication. They are mentored by leaders in the field within an apprenticeship model of learning.
We are eager to hear from recent graduates (1-2 years of work experience) or members of the Class of 2019 interested in exploring professional services opportunities within the field of executive search. Applicants should have majored in liberal arts, business, or related fields of study and display general well-roundedness, including significant leadership experience. A 3.5+ GPA is desired.
The successful candidate is someone who is self-directed, independent and able to proactively address the needs of the practice. Outstanding candidates will have demonstrated a passion and ability for performing critical research and communicating their findings clearly and cogently. They will be graceful under pressure, enjoy fast paced environments, and be excellent multitaskers.
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with other high-end professional services firms. Key RelationshipsReports to
Director of Associates
Associate Practice Leader (depending on region)
Associates and Consultants (on a project basis)Other Key Relationships
Global Information Services/European Knowledge Services
ID/Practice Analysts/Knowledge Analysts (depending on region) Major Responsibilities
Candidate SpecificationIdeal Experience:
- Assist in the creation of content for qualifications packs for new business development initiatives. Develops a solid understanding of the potential client/client's industry including specific information regarding the "value proposition" (competitive landscape, strengths, and weaknesses), stock performance, employee count, etc. Synthesize information accurately, so that it is easily incorporated into a readable, client-ready document.
- Maintain current awareness of news and issues associated with key client engagements and market opportunities and share that information and knowledge in a timely way with associates, consultants and knowledge management.
- Assist in high level name generation and organization chart creation. Contribute to the long list creation by leveraging internal and external databases to provide commentary on potential candidates.
- Participate in kick-off meetings with Associates and Consultants to assist in the development of the search strategy. Directly assist Associates with search-related tasks, such as the development of a search strategy and target list.
- Develop industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and "best in class" leaders/future leaders.
- An undergraduate degree.
- Familiar with business reference resources such as Factiva, Hoovers or OneSource.
- Two year's experience using Microsoft's Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
- Has completed research that includes a financial/statistical analysis of a business, industry, or market.
- Fluent in English (written & spoken); additional language skills will be an advantage.
Project Management - Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support of new business development and search assignment support as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate and timely research information about executives, organizations, markets or other relevant sectors.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align resources where/when needed and proactively reprioritizing own workload to provide additional support to assignment team where/when needed.
- Being prepared, where necessary, to work longer hours and to be available out of working hours, committing to deadlines and communicating progress against them to the assignment team and/or client.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Analytical Skills - Synthesizes research for business development initiatives, search assignments or intellectual capital initiatives and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Using effective business writing skills to create succinct, client-ready analyses and documenting information in Firm databases.
Professional Approach - Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate and peer feedback while working with individuals who have differing styles by:
- Being authentic.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.