- Do you want to work with community members to make a positive, tangible difference in the lives of kids in need?
- Are you passionate about transforming community spaces into vibrant environments that meet the needs of all ages?
- Does traveling to communities across North America excite you?
Come build community with us!
The Community Playground Organizer empowers communities across North America to improve and increase access to play for kids. The Community Playground Organizer assists in and leads the coordination and execution of KaBOOM! community-build playground projects and activities culminating in a transformative, one day volunteer event that acts as a springboard for further positive change. The Community Playground Organizer guides the community through a successful playground project from playground design to the playground build event. The typical project requires cross-organizational coordination, group facilitation, project planning, scheduling and reporting, and budget management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with community, corporate and foundation project partners
- Facilitating a high-energy, playful Design Day to kick off projects by asking the kids and adults to design their dream playspace
- Planning KaBOOM! community-build playground projects by leading about 8 weeks of preparation by volunteer committees securing local resources needed for their one-day playground Build, including volunteers, food and tools
- Managing 30+ volunteers for two days to prepare and organize construction materials for the playground Build Day
- Managing and motivating 200+ volunteers to work together to build a safe new playspace in just 6 hours
- Participating in a team-based work environment and working together with other departments at KaBOOM! for general mission support as needed
- Significant amount of travel (up to 60%), including weekends, is required for execution of the KaBOOM! Design Day and KaBOOM! Build Day events
To ensure successful job performance, candidate must possess:
- 1-3 years of project/event management experience and bachelor's degree preferred
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures and large numbers of people
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish is preferred
- The skills necessary to prioritize, multi-task and thrive in a culture of rapid change
- Prior construction related experience is helpful but not required.
- Strong coordination, organization, interpersonal, and communication skills, as well as a strong sense of personal responsibility for one's work are valued.
- Precise attention to detail and organizational skills
- The orientation and ability necessary to collaborate and work effectively as a member of a diverse, high-performing, and inclusive team.
- Effective communication skills (listening, oral, written and presentation).
KaBOOM! is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. People of color and LGBTQ+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
KaBOOM! is the national non-profit dedicated to bringing balanced and active play into the daily lives of all kids, particularly those growing up in poverty in America. We believe play is essential to a child's wellbeing and development, which leads to a healthy future. We work every day to ensure that kids living in underserved areas have access to the play they need to thrive. Our future depends on it!
We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere filled with talented and passionate Boomers who want to make a difference in kids' lives. Individuals interested in applying for this position are encouraged to go to kaboom.org/careers and select Community Playground Organizer. Please make sure to include a thoughtful cover letter with your application.