Engineering DesignOverviewSubstation and Line Engineer
Electrical Engineer IV
Electric Power Systems is an Independent Electrical Testing & Engineering Organization. We specialize in engineering & design, commissioning, start up, and maintenance testing for utility, industrial, transit, data centers, and commercial facilities. At Electric Power Systems, we are committed to promoting a culture of safety within our organization and alongside all of our clients. Our dedication to providing safe and reliable services has made us a trusted industry leader since 1977.
The candidate will perform project management, conceptual and detail design services for physical, protection & control and SCADA for new or existing substation expansion. Responsibilities
Working knowledge of protection and control design for electrical substations and transmission lines.
- Lead relay protection and control activities for 4kV thru 765KV electrical substation projects.
- Prepare P&C scopes and cost estimates for electric substation projects.
- Prepare and/or review P&C engineering and designs for electrical substation projects.
- Review and approve P&C related work of other team members.
- Review, evaluate and provide P&C comments and recommendations on transmission system planning proposals.
- Coordinate with transmission customers and interconnected companies on associated protection issues.
- Perform activities related to NERC P&C standards.
- Identify, clarify, resolve, and initiate solutions to protection and control problems through analysis of interruption reports and fault recorder records.
- Contribute to development of system-wide protection standards for transmission and distribution station protection, metering and control applications.
- Provide general P&C technical support, as needed, including the technical interfaces with customer planning, engineering, transmission & substation operations personnel.
Working knowledge of electrical substation physical layout and control houses
- Develop site plans, general arrangement plans and single line diagrams
- Develop and review specifications, drawings and standards.
- Selection of equipment and material.
- Transmission and pole line design
- Develop detail design for steel and buswork, control house, breakers, switches and transformers.
- Lightning protection design and analysis.
- Develop detailed design for foundations, system grounding, grading, conduit and trenching.
- Manage assigned projects focusing on scheduling, resource planning, cost control and key deliverables.
- Cost estimates related to the development of new transmission and distribution substations
- Provide engineering support for project installation, commissioning, checkout and troubleshooting.
- Model transmission system impedances and perform short circuit fault studies.
- Perform area protection studies and recommend settings for existing and new transmission line and station protection schemes.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure situations.
- Experience with AutoCAD or Microstation a plus.
- Experience with system modeling program such as ASPEN a plus.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to developing engineers within department.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- PE registration is required.
- Experience in substation relay protection, metering, control and SCADA applications.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with applicable industry codes and standards.
- Design and engineering for HV and EHV electrical substation projects (for higher level classifications).
- Project management experience required. PMP certification desirable.
- Bachelor's Degree or Advanced Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited University.
- Overtime as required to meet assigned deadlines.
- 25% travel will be required in first year.
EPS E&D is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electrical Substation | Physical Layout | Auxiliary systems | protection and control design | load management | Automated meter reading | distribution systems | tranmsisssion systems | SCADA systems | automation systems | power substation design | Relay settings change | lightning protection | grounding plans | conduit plans | buswork design | control house layouts | control house elevations |