Integrated DNA TechnologiesID
Research & Development# of Openings
19 hours agoShift/Schedule
M-F 40 Hour Week (United States of America)Overview
The Research Scientist III, under minimal supervision, conducts bench scientific experimentation that advances the development and characterization of new genomics products at IDT. This position is in the Enzyme Development group in Coralville, IA.ResponsibilitiesPosition Specific Duties/Essential Functions
Job Specific Duties/Essential Functions
- Protein purification using multiple chromatographic techniques on an AKTA pure system
- Enzyme activity characterization of known or novel enzymes using industry standard approaches
- Create novel methods for functional protein activity and quality control testing
- Data analysis and summary written reports and scientific presentations
- Transfer protein purification and characterization assays to production and QC groups
- Applies extensive scientific knowledge with broad laboratory skills to execute complex bench experiments using variety of molecular biology, cell biology, biochemical and general laboratory techniques as directed.
- Plans experimental details required for execution of assigned work, with little oversight.
- Analyzes raw data, reports results and plans the next steps.
- Organizes and manages moderately complex projects.
- Utilizes mathematical, graphical, imaging, nucleic acid analysis and other software aids as needed.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Maintains accurate and detailed records of experimental work.
- Prepares technical reports for internal use; creates protocols or manuals for public display or distribution.
- Assists in filing invention disclosures, writing patent applications and manuscripts for publication.
- Interacts with and assists other members of the R&D team as needed to meet research objectives.
- Oversees activities and assists with training of more junior research personnel as directed.
- Interacts frequently with other internal departments and IDT customers to assist with customer service/technical support and helps manage collaborative research projects as directed.
- Presents experimental results, data analysis or prior art evaluations at group meetings as directed.
- Participates in scientific collaborations for new technology/product development.
- Participates in the maintenance of laboratory cleanliness including but not limited to washing and storage of glass/plastic ware and autoclaving waste, organization of reagents and freezers, etc.
- Represents IDT at scientific conference and trade shows; prepares and presents data-oriented posters (involving domestic or international travel).
- Uses radioactive materials and autoradiography, on occasion, during the course of experimental work.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education, Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Bachelor's degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with six or more years relevant lab experience required
- Master's degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with four or more years relevant lab experience preferred
- PhD degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with one or more years relevant lab experience preferred
- Biotech Industry based experience in enzyme isolation and purification is highly preferred
- Experience with molecular biology enzymes characterizations, including but not limited to unit activity determinations, purity and contaminant removal -required.
- Knowledge of industry standards for Quality Control testing of purified recombinant enzymes-required
- Proven ability to work with multi-disciplinary groups-required
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Previous experience with DNA analysis/genomics applications in NGS, qPCR or CRISPR required.
- Molecular Biology Product development experience is preferred
- Previous experience with public speaking preferred.
- Previous experience with publishing scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of IDT products and product lines preferred.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Protein purification using a protein purification system such as AKTA pure or equivalent equipment
- Characterization of enzyme physical properties using biochemical techniques
- Characterization of enzyme physical properties using molecular biology techniques
- Strong organizational skill sets and detailed experimental record keeping
- Public presentations to scientific audiences
- Ability to train others in basic laboratory techniques and equipment operation.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and maintain several projects at one time.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with peers and all levels of management.
Integrated DNA Technologies is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.