UGI Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. As such, the Company abides by the requirements of the Executive Order 11246, 41 CFR 60-741.5(a), and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, age, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally protected class in its practices.Job Summary
This Engineer position would be responsible to design natural gas facilities for replacement, upgrade or new business. The facilities include mains, services, pressure regulation stations, and metering and regulation stations. Determine mains for replacements due to leakage, or system reinforcement, and subsequent inclusion in the annual budget. Develop project estimates, upload and manage the projects in the various work order systems, and coordinate workload priorities regarding the design and implementation of projects. Assist marketing in new business facility design. Obtain and/or coordinate bidding, permitting and material obtainment necessary for projects. Determine necessary facility relocations and adjustments due to other utility improvements, and municipal highway reconstruction or paving. Support the various operations departments, including field support, with technical and project management assistance during facility installations. Act as crew supervisor on a rotating on-call basis, for after-hours emergencies. Assist others in Area Engineering with their projects when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills
- With guidance from peers & supervision, review roadway construction plans from the State, municipalities, contractors and/or developers for conflicts and/or needed system maintenance to be done in coordination with proposed construction activity
- For non-complex projects initially, learn to research internal records and assess system conditions via MapFrame, Optimain, network analysis, etc. for planning system facility replacements due to condition or pressure needs.
- Communicate and internally coordinate workload priorities, C&M installation concerns, project manpower requirements, materials procurement, permit application, etc. regarding the design and implementation of projects.
- With less supervision/mentoring over time, design and estimate costs for non-complex/typical distribution system additions and modifications including utilizing Design Manager/DOJM and/or Avenir combined with the Annual Pipeline Contract to cost-effectively specify design parameters and to select contractors, and/or create bid packages.
- Learn to monitor projects for actual installation (and cost containment) versus design including field coordination during construction, assessment of project costs using Oracle, creation of change orders, post-construction debriefing with C&M, etc.
- With less mentoring over time, complete all necessary tasks for the preparation of the job completion packages for Central Maps & Records and Accounting Departments, including graphical completion in Design Manager, financial close-out in DOJM, completed job orders, checklists, tagging leaks, reviewing field sketches for accuracy, etc.
- Represent the Company at construction and/or utility meetings with the State, municipalities, contractors, developers, etc. as skill level and/or experience allows.
- Complete all other work assignments and special projects as directed by the Manager Area Engineering
- Knowledge of engineering and construction techniques, and applicability to natural gas industry regulations, materials, practices and procedures
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills especially mapping and technical programs
- Bachelor of Science or Master Degree in Engineering