Clemson University invites applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The Department seeks exceptional candidates with a strong track record of (1) high quality research and scholarship supported by federal and/or industry funding; (2) demonstrated excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching; (3) and proven leadership/mentorship and diversity/inclusion experience.
• Clemson is a public, land-grant institution located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in upstate South Carolina between Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC.
• Clemson University is currently ranked 23rd among national public institutions by US News and World Report and classified as a Highest Research Activity university by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
• Clemson's mechanical engineering graduate program is ranked by US News and World Report as 32nd among engineering programs of national public universities.
• The Department offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees. Currently there are 927 undergraduates in the sophomore through senior ranks, 140 M.S. students and 50 Ph.D. students. The Department is the largest degree-granting program at Clemson.
• The Department has 32 tenured/tenure-track faculty members and has been experiencing rapid growth with the addition of 13 tenure-track faculty and a 46% increase in the undergraduate student population over the past 6 years.
• Since 2000 the faculty in the Department have received 10 NSF CAREER Awards and one AFOSR Young Investigator Award.
• The Department is home to four endowed chairs and professorships.
• The Department has a modern 105,000 ft. facility on the main campus with excellent laboratory space.
• Off-campus initiatives include a new interdisciplinary graduate program and research opportunities in Charleston, SC at the Zucker Family Center.
Applicants should electronically submit a CV, contact information for a minimum of five references, and a cover letter with a brief vision statement (3 page maximum) via Interfolio. Guaranteed consideration will be given to applications received by September 8th, 2017, however, the search will continue until the position is filled.Clemson University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Clemson University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.