POSITION TITLE: _ Executive Director
REPORTING TO: Board President
LOCATION: Las Cruces, NM
ORGANIZATION: Friends of the Organ Mountains Desert Peaks
Applications Due by December 1st, 2017 5pm
ORGANIZATION’S MISSION AND PURPOSE:
Friends of Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks seeks to enrich our community and diverse cultures through advocacy, conservation and restoration of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument as a premier example of America’s National Conservation Lands.
Friends of Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks is committed to the protection and restoration of the ecological, natural, cultural and historic resources of the Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument and National Conservation Lands. Our work will ensure the protection of these resources and promote responsible access regardless of wealth, privilege or social standing.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Supporting the organization’s strategic direction and providing the leadership to successfully implement it. The ED will:
- Work with Board of Directors and staff to shape and implement a strategic plan that is responsive to the current political environment and continues to build upon Friends successes.
- Develop, alter or align programs, budgets and staffing to ensure successful implementation of the strategic plan.
- Be responsible for evaluating the success of programs and ensuring that goals are met and the organization maintains the focus necessary to fulfill its mission.
- Ensure the continued financial health of the organization through effective fundraising including diversifying the organization’s current funding base.
- Meet with individual donors and foundations, develop and maintain strong relationships with donors and enhance the Friends fundraising network.
Budgeting and Financial Oversight:
- Develop an overall organizational budget and individual program budgets.
- Ensure organizational financial transparency, compliance and accountability.
- Provide consistent, timely and relevant organization information to the Board of Directors, including progress reports.
- Attend all Board meetings
- Provide support of strategic planning efforts as guided by Board of Directors.
- Ensure provision of administrative support for effective Board of Directors.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, develops, and motivates a diverse staff of quality people.
- Fill staff vacancies, mentor and coach staff, and provide opportunities for staff advancement and leadership development.
- Engage in Friends programs as appropriate and as identified in the strategic plan. Program work may entail but not be limited to:
- Working with coalitions and partners on campaign strategy development;
- Encourage grassroots engagement and community building;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with New Mexico state and federal elected officials, as well as conservation, business and cultural leaders;
- Engage in Bureau of Land Management planning
- Plan and implement communications strategy and serve as a spokesperson for Friends
- Ensure programs and campaigns are adequately resourced.
- Candidate will be thoroughly committed to Friends of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks mission, will have proven leadership, fundraising, strategic planning and management experience.
- Knowledge of New Mexico politics and campaign strategy development.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to supervise and mentor staff, nurture a healthy organizational culture, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Strategic thinker with a compelling vision for the Friends future and the future of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument.
- Commitment to building effective partnerships and collaborative efforts with a wide range for stakeholders.
- Ability to make hard decisions in a timely manner.
- Familiarity with, or strong commitment to learn about New Mexico and federal and state land management policies.
- Proven success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate new and existing Board member relationships.
- Strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders.
- A persuasive and effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative, action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and has an innovative approach to long term planning.
- Exhibits passion, idealism, integrity, maintains a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and is mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Ability to travel frequently.
- Competitive salary based on qualifications.
APPLICATION MATERIALS REQUESTED:
Cover letter and resume
Carol Reynolds, Board Treasurer
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT CLAUSE:
Friends of the Organ Mountains Desert Peaks is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.